Monday, March 9, 2015

Tuesday, March 10

We packed up our laundry and we're going to attempt to find one of the many places that do laundry for $1/kg.  So we went down for breakfast and enjoyed the selection of eastern and western choices.  Bruce has his usual eastern fav followed by a three egg omelette,with extra mushrooms. The coffee here is delicious - strong but not at all bitter.  

We asked for another map....so with the rain and having to check it so often, it wears out in a day.
She asked us where we needed to go.  So we told her to find a laundry place.  Then she said the hotel also does laundry by the kg.  price is $2.50.  So, the fact we don't find to find a place and then find it again to pick it up....,we said go for it.  We have 4 kg of laundry to get done. So, $10!

Out we went.... And today we found the right street....


Gillian's dragonflies were easy to find..... And they are so cute....,smaller than the ones we had before.
25/ $130 000 dong



Then we walked a bit and Bruce saw the silk store that had the pj set I wanted.....but they were crazy in the price.  Already made it was $46 ( a nightie and jacket), to make one for me $100.  So, I decided to buy the fabric and get it made in Thailand.  I bought 4 meters of fabric at $13 a meter.  In retrospect, I should have bought the other one as it would fit someone.  The silk is gorgeous here.






We didn't find the soup ladle but one shop had the same design in mugs.  She said the soup ladle is available but it is at least 20 km away.  Oh well, I might find something at the airport or back in Thailand.



I also found several things for gifts .....     :)

I found small water puppets .... I ended up with 4 - the rice farmer, 2 fishermen and the  fat farmer guy.  All for $200 000 dong. $12







We had to stop and take this pic



On the way home we stopped at a hair salon and both got our hair cut.





We got home and decided to stay in and dry off for a few hours.  Now that we have our fav Vegas game app (The Wizard of Oz) we can amuse ourselves for hours..... Or at least until our virtual money runs out.

Then I decided I wanted to get some of this cool jewellery I have seen at a couple of art galleries, so off we went.  Yep, we got lost.  Lucky, I had my iPad and had been searching for it...and it was in my history.  So after a drink at 'Geckos' we headed for it.


We are always sooo close



We found what I wanted and then started back for home. We found a popcorn stand.... Turned out to be kettle coconut corn.... Delicious.... 3 large cups for $10 000 Dong... Less than $1



I decided to email the ES principal and see if I can set up a meeting with her when we get back to Bangkok.  If no answer comes this week.... We won't be going I'd they do offer. 

Tonight we are off to Don's restaurant for dinner. We have reservations at 7:00.  Last night on Hanoi and Vietnam.  Back to sunshine tomorrow.

We had a great dinner at Don's.   It has been voted one of the best 50 restaurants in Asia and the only one in Vietnam.  The best part he is Canadian and used to live in Calgary.




Gorgeous turquoise lotus cushions


Amazing bread

Lobster linguine

Beef from Washington State -  amazing says Bruce 

Don came out and asked how everything was.  Bruce told him that he had wanted more green onions and sour cream for his potato, and that he had to ask twice.  Don apologized and gave us free desert.
We had a nice visit with him.  He married a Vietnamese woman and has a darling two year old.
Life is great, he says!

Free tiramisu with coffee beans 

Truffles

Excellent dinner with Chilean wine

I received this email from the principal:



No Job but great life!

No comments:

Post a Comment